My interest in Zentangle (R) started when I was looking at adult colouring books and decided I'd rather draw the pictures. My husband bought me a book about Zentangle inspired art for Christmas and my latest interest was born.

Monday, 27 March 2017

How to colour paper using crepe paper

Hi Everyone,
It's a long time since I have posted. I had to take quite a long break from tangling after injuring my back and have only really solidly got back into it over the last couple of months. I'm still not finding time to get back to the challenges, but I'm thinking I will make time as they really do help my tangling develop.

Anyway, I decided to post today because I have been playing with colouring tiles and thought I should write a post about it because I couldn't find anything about it on the internet!

Many of you have probably heard about the tissue paper hefty hack. I love the results of tiles coloured using this method but have been unable to source any of the paper to give it a go myself. The other day I had a flashback to when I was a little girl and my mother made me a crepe paper skirt for a school dress up day. I remember having to run inside when it started to rain so I didn't end up dyed purple, pink and blue. So I thought it might be worth seeing if I could use crepe paper to colour paper.

A hunt through the cupboard produced some crepe paper streamers (even better) and off I went. I've discovered two techniques that work, both of which produce different results.

Dipping the crepe paper technique:

You need a bowl of water, lengths of crepe paper streamers, some paper towel or an old towel and two pieces of the paper you want to colour.

Dip the streamers in the water, blot them lightly on the towel, then lay onto your paper. Repeat quickly with the other colours you want to use, then lay the other piece of paper on top and press them together to sandwich. Separate the two pages, remove the crepe paper and then hang up to dry. You may want to blot some of the excess water off your paper first if it's a bit wet.

You can also fill any gaps by squeezing drips out of wads of wet crepe paper, or using wads of wet crepe paper as a stamp.

If your paper is already cut to tile size, just lay the strips of wet crepe paper on to them. The results look like this:




They dried beautifully and I tangled on them with no problems. I've recently discovered some 100% cotton 250gm drawing paper and I love it. It's beautiful to tangle on and shade.

Ruffel, flux, tipple, ing, tripoli

Yes this is Toby underneath

The spray technique:

This is similar to the tissue paper technique from what I understand. I actually tried that first but it wasn't very successful.

I lay the strips of crepe paper into a tray then sprayed them with water until they were consistently damp. Then I lay some tiles on the top and pressed down on them for a few seconds. I was actually able to repeat this 3 times with the same strips, I just sprayed them a little again between each press.
The results are below. You can see some of the texture of the crepe paper - it gives a quite different effect.


 Anyway, I now can't wait to try tangling on these either, and I may be a bit addicted lol. It is such a quick technique, the hardest bit is waiting for them to dry lol.

If you give it a go, leave a link in the comments so we can check it out.

Happy Tangling!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love receiving comments, so thank you for taking the time to leave one. If you have a question I will try and reply as soon as I can.