My interest in Zentangle (R) started when I was looking at adult colouring books and decided I'd rather draw the pictures. My husband bought me a book about Zentangle inspired art for Christmas and my latest interest was born.

Thursday, 4 August 2016

Some Gra-vee and Knightstar

I've been a slightly obsessed tangler this week, I get itchy fingers when other things get in the way of me sitting down to do some. I've had a fun time with the challenges from Joey and the Diva, both of them have pushed me to try something new or something I'm not quite comfortable with. The Made by Joey challenge was to use Gra-vee (a new one for me) by Laurel Sponseller with another circular string. As soon as I saw the string I thought "Mooka" which is a bit of a challenge because it's a tangle I sometimes struggle with. I'm happy with how it's turned out though. There's also some ennies and cresent moon tangleations using the Gra-vee to replace the tear drops and semicircles.


Taking the photo also turned out to be a bit of a challenge.


Mooka often makes me think of some photos of moss spores I took a few years ago. At the time I named the photo "Alien cocktail party" See what you think:


The Iamthediva challenge for this week was to use a tangle by a challenge participant. This one is called "Knightstar" by Daniel Lamothe. It reminds me of the string art that used to be popular when I was a kid. I also just saw there is a similar tangle called "Knightspeek". This probably looks more like that version I think?

 This tangle needs some more work for me but it certainly produced a different looking result from what I've done before. I was initially going to pair it with paradox, but somehow that didn't happen. Sorry if the photo is a little fuzzy, if I get time later I will try and take another one. I think you could produce some interesting shapes and effects using this tangle. I'm really keen to try the same principle with some different shapes.


As always, I'd love to hear what you think! Keep on tangling.

34 comments:

  1. I like this and the cat made me smile. Sometimes I can hardly type or watch the computer screen, because my cat is sitting just in front of me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are helpful like that! Mine is on my lap right now!

      Delete
  2. Nice work and a beautiful pic of Toby and the Alien party. When you are walking trough the woods, you can find a lot of tangles!
    Your variation on Knightstar is beautiful drawn, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by Ria! I was looking at some banksia cones today wondering if anyone has turned them into a tangle yet.

      Delete
  3. Well that cat is causing you trouble. Nice photo and pictures

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Mooka and the string presented a natural place to use it...I also struggle with Mooka. It seems like it should be easier! Lovely tile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I think too Denise, thanks for stopping by and your kind comments

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Both are lovely pieces and your cat make me smile😄You did a great job with knightstar. I found it difficult. You made 5👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carmela, he wasn't supposed to be in this post ;)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. The combination of Knightstar with the other tangles made it a beautiful ZT. Also the first one with the lovely cat is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Both are gorgeous!! Sweet kitty too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of your work here! Your Knightstar came out beautifully and I love your Mooka'd Joey piece;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your work. The Knightstar is really well done. I, being a cat person, love your kitty most LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great tiles! I love Gravee and struggle with Mooka too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. All lovely, even the aliens! Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  12. :-) Zentangle, aliens and cats.....what more could you ask for! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you let your cat take part in your work! Cats has so much zen in them. Beautiful tiles, both of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha I'm not sure I have much choice about the "let". Thanks Anita

      Delete
  14. Lovely organic designs and the Mooka adds such a nice touch too:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful tiles and wonderful photos! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your Joey tangle is beautiful! Great idea to use Mooka along the string line. Diva one also nice.

    ReplyDelete

I love receiving comments, so thank you for taking the time to leave one. If you have a question I will try and reply as soon as I can.